Tips and Hints for your Barbecuing Pleasure
The sun is shining, the sky is blue, just the sort
of day to let yourself be tempted by mouth watering aromas from the
barbecue and to savour the taste of good meal on the grill.
Here are 10 tips and advice
that will make your taste buds leap for joy.
- Remove visible fat from the meat before cooking because this
fat falls on the briquettes and flames. This flame, which accounts
for the flavour typical of the barbecue, releases a potentially
carcinogenic substance called “benzopyrene”. Following this step
will also lower the saturated fat in the meat.
- Never salt meat before cooking because it will lose its natural
juices and dry out.
- Boil sausages for 5 minutes before placing them on the barbecue
for quicker cooking and lower fat content.
- Allow about 1 cup (250 mL) of marinade for 2 lb. (1 kg) of
During cooking :
- Cooked meat must never come into contact with raw meat to avoid
crossover contamination. Avoid putting cooked meat down on a plate
used to carry raw meat. Use a clean plate on which to place pieces
of cooked meat.
- Manipulate the meat with tongs or a spatula, not a large fork.
If you prick the meat, juices escape and it dries out.
- Turn the meat or fish only once during cooking for greater
tenderness. At the same time, you'll get attractive grill marks on
each side without losing the shape of your cut.
- Cook ground beef until it loses all its pink colour to avoid
all chance of food poisoning from Escherichia coli.
- Wrap meat in aluminum foil for about 15 minutes immediately
after removing it from the oven or barbecue for juicier
- Go for the last word in meats: GrilRouge AAA beef available
exclusively from Metro. Worthy of the finest tables, marbling
ensures the exceptional tenderness of this beef. Once on the grill,
its succulent taste will be apparent and its delightful aroma will
draw hungry neighbours to your doorstep! Bon appétit!
Red Grill Angus Steak with Shiitake Gravy
Vegetable brochettes with mint and cumin
Spice-Crusted Pork Chops with Bean Sprout Salad
Thai Grilled Red Grill Angus Medallions and Bean Salad
Grilled Chicken Tortillas
Click here to discover all our BBQ videos.
Other related articles