- 3/4 cup (180 mL) coarsely grated Gadoua bread
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) currants
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) non-hydrogenated soft margarine
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) chopped apples
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) sugar*
- 6 eggs*
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) nutmeg
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) salt
- zest of one lemon, chopped fine
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) slivered orange zest
- 1 Tbsp. (15ml) slivered lime zest
- Coffee Sauce
- 5 oz. (140g) butter*
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) flour*
- 5 Tbsp. (80 mL) milk
- 5 Tbsp. (80 mL) ground arabica coffee*
- 4 Tbsp. (60 mL) water
- 1/4 cup (50 mL) sweet sherry
- 1 oz. (30 mL) brandy
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) sugar*
- 1 tsp. (5 mL) lemon zest
- Pinch of nutmeg
Mix bread, non-hydrogenated soft margarine, apples, sugar, eggs, nutmeg, salt and zests together.
Transfer mixture into pudding bowls (3 or 4 depending on size), cover with cloth, tying it securely (if you don't have pudding bowls, use empty soup cans).
Place the bowls in a large pot of boiling water, cover and steam for 3 hours.
Remove, run a knife around the rim and turn out the puddings.
Melt butter over low heat, add flour, gradually stir in milk then coffee.
Stir well while adding water a few drops at a time. Allow sauce to thicken.
Little by little, stir in sherry, brandy, sugar and zest. Mix thoroughly and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
Taste. Add more sugar if necessary.
Sprinkle with nutmeg and serve with plum pudding.
* We recommend Selection and Irresistibles products.
Metro encourages moderation in the consumption of alcohol. The sale of alcoholic beverages, as prescribed by law, is restricted to adults only. And, please, don't drink and drive!