Chorizo-scampi Stuffed Rabbit Paupiettes with Warm Vegetable Salad, Pinot Noir Demi-glace, and Cauliflower Mousseline
|Preparation:||1 h 30 min|
- Rabbit Paupiettes
- 4 saddles of rabbit
- 6 scampi
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) Irresistibles extra virgin olive oil*
- 5 oz. (150 g) chorizo
- 2 cups (500 mL) heavy cream (35% m.f.)*
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pinot Noir Demi-glace
- 1 carrot, cut into brunoise (very fine dice)
- 1 onion, cut into brunoise (very fine dice)
- ¾ oz. (20 g) brown sugar*
- 2/5 cup (100 mL) pinot noir
- 4 cups (1 litre) beef broth*
- 9 oz. (250 g) scampi shells
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2/5 cup (100 mL) veal jus
- ¾ oz. (20 g) butter*
- Thyme, savory, rosemary, salt and pepper to taste
- Cauliflower Mousseline
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- ¾ cup (180 mL) heavy cream (35% m.f.)*, lukewarm
- Salt, pepper and Irresistibles nutmeg* to taste
- Warm Vegetable Salad
- 1 carrot, cut into sticks
- 1 red pepper, cut into sticks
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into sticks
- 2 stalks celery, cut into sticks
- 1 yellow carrot, cut into sticks
- 1 handful snow peas, cut into large julienne
- ⅓ oz. (10 g) butter*
- Chopped fresh parsley and thyme to taste
Clean and bone saddles of rabbit. Remove flaps and nerves, leaving 4 small cylinders. Reserve flaps for the stuffing.
Slit the cylinders and open them up like a scaloppine.
Flatten them so that they can be easily rolled up.
Clean, season and sear scampi in olive oil over high heat until browned but not cooked, and keep cool.
Put rabbit flaps and trimmings in a food processor along with chorizo, salt and pepper and chop into a dense stuffing.
Add cream to soften, and adjust seasoning as needed.
Force stuffing through a mill to remove fibres and nerves. Reserve.
Spread each saddle, salt lightly, use a spatula to cover the whole surface with stuffing, and lay 1½ scampi in the centre.
Roll saddles into 4 cylinders, wrap tightly in plastic film and vacuum seal. (If you don’t have a vacuum sealer, wrap them in plastic film, then twist and knot both ends).
Steam for 20 minutes and cool in an ice bath.
Just before serving, reheat vacuum-sealed scampi in a double-boiler for 5 minutes to 175°F (80°C).
Pinot Noir Demi-glace
In a saucepan, sweat carrot and onion.
Add brown sugar and deglaze with pinot noir.
Reduce, then add beef broth, scampi shells, garlic, thyme and rosemary.
Reduce by 3/4, and strain through a chinois (china cap or conical strainer).
Add veal jus and strain again for demi-glace, season, and stir in butter.
Cook cauliflower in boiling salted water. Drain as thoroughly as possible.
Purée in food processor with warmed cream, and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
Warm Vegetable Salad
Blanch vegetables individually in boiling salted water, cool and spread out on a baking sheet.
Before serving, warm them in the oven, and dress with butter and chopped herbs.
Plate and serve!
Executive Chef, Renoir restaurant, Sofitel Hotel
* We recommend Selection and Irresistibles products.
Metro encourages moderation in the consumption of alcohol. The sale of alcoholic beverages, as prescribed by law, is restricted to adults only. And, please, don't drink and drive!