- 5 apples, Cortland or Braeburn, already peeled, cored and cut into quarters 5
- 1 Tbsp. (15 mL) all purpose flour*
- 5 Tbsp. (75 mL) brown sugar*
- ½ tsp. (2 mL) Irresistibles cinnamon*
- 1 pinch Irresistibles ground nutmeg*
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 oz (250 g) pastry dough (see recipe no 1036)
- 1 beaten egg*
- 2 Tbsp. (30 mL) white sugar*
Preheat oven to 190° C (375° F).
Place apples in a large bowl and gently mix in flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add salt and continue stirring until apples are well coated.
Divide pastry in two (2/3 for bottom shell, 1/3 for top). On a lightly floured surface, roll out pastry to form two round shells, 3 to 5 mm (1/8 to 1/4 in) thick.
Ease first shell onto bottom and against sides of a 23 cm (9 in) pie plate and fill with apple mixture.
Brush the edges of shell with beaten egg.
Fold top shell in two and make 4 diagonal incisions at the center (making a chimney to release steam). Place shell over the apples to cover completely. Use your fingers to scallop the edges.
Brush entire surface of pie with beaten egg. Sprinkle with sugar.
Place on center rack of oven and bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until filling bubbles and pie crust is golden.
* We recommend Selection and Irresistibles products.
Metro encourages moderation in the consumption of alcohol. The sale of alcoholic beverages, as prescribed by law, is restricted to adults only. And, please, don't drink and drive!