Tossed Avocado Meal
Mexican Salad Meal
Toasted Chick Pea Snack
Hummus Mini Snacks
Dried Fruit Yoghurt Surprise
Fruit and Cheese Salad
Dried Fruit Health Bars
Chocolate Chip Trail Mix Snacking Bars
It's back-to-school time and you have to start thinking "quick and easy-to-prepare dinners." Metro knows this and has drawn up a list of multi-purpose essentials for you to keep in the freezer, in the fridge and in the pantry. With these basics at hand, preparing well-balanced, nutritious meals will be a breeze!
Shop and stock up!
The grocery aisles are full of healthy products created especially for busy people like you. Make your life easy and fill your shopping cart with these healthy meal essentials. With all the basics at hand, you will be able to create a variety of flavourful recipes in no time at all.
In the pantry
A few practical items you can grab from the cupboard and take with you to ballet class or baseball practice with the kids…
- Dried fruit and nuts
- Granola bars
- Rice crackers
Quick and easy meals
Choose versatile food items that are handy to have and use in a multitude of quick and easy recipes.
- Maple syrup
- Soya sauce and Tabasco sauce
- Red wine, white wine and balsamic vinegars
- Couscous and instant rice : excellent to accompany any meat or to add to soups and salads.
- Canned fruit and vegetables : they are more nutritious than you think. Rinsing them under running water removes some of the excess syrup or salt.
- Canned tomato sauce : add some cream, wine or both and then vegetables or meat and serve over pasta. You can also spread the sauce over pizza!
- Sauce packets : Alfredo, Peppercorn, Hollandaise… Irresistible brand sauces are flavourful and economical.
- Canned tomatoes : use with pasta, fish and seafood, or in your own homemade soup.
- Pasta : they cook in no time at all!
- Prepared crepe mix : use to make delicious main meal or dessert crepes.
- Canned legumes (beans) : for soups, sauces and salads.
- Canned tuna and salmon : use as sandwich garnishes or add to bean or pasta salads.
- Canned vegetable, chicken, and beef broth : Merit Selection offers a variety of ready-to-use broths in practical re-closable boxes.
In the fridge
- Tamari sauce
- Bottled lemon juice
- Fruit compotes and sauces
- 35% cream
- Plain yogurt
- Hot mustard
- Jar of crushed garlic : no more peeling…a great time saver.
- Eggs : for quiches, omelets, sandwiches and salads
- Grated cheese : Mozzarella, Cheddar, Parmesan…the choices are many and all are delicious.
- Pre-washed mixed lettuce : an instant salad.
- Cold cuts : for sandwiches or croque-monsieur.
- Ready-to-eat crudités : small carrots, cherry tomatoes, radishes, etc.
- Dips : Hummus, Guacamole, Salsa.
A few easy recipes:
In the freezer
- Frozen shrimp and fish
- Ground lamb, veal or beef
- Thinly-sliced fondue meats
- Prepared sauces
- Quick-cooking boneless meat cuts
- Sherbet and ice cream
- Frozen vegetables : ideal for stir-fries and sautées, spaghetti sauces, soups or stews. Frozen spinach is ease to hide in lasagna, an all-time kids favourite!
- Frozen fruit : use in crepes, yogurt or homemade smoothies.
- Stuffed pasta : >Metro offers a variety of Irresistible brand stuffed pasta options. Made from the highest quality ingredients, all are flavourful and nutritious.
- Various breads : Bagels, Kaiser buns, pita pockets.
- Prepared pie crust : prepare your quiches and pies in a flash. For an even quicker solution, try Metro's Irresistible brand no-crust quiche!
- Prepared pizza crusts : let your children garnish their own pizza. Ten minutes in the oven and you have a nutritious and fun dinner for the family.
When you do have time to cook – on weekends for instance – double your recipes to make sure you have leftovers and freeze them. Whether you are making soup, stew, bread, muffins, pies…you'll always have something to heat up and serve in a pinch!
Click here to discover 10 guaranteed brand-new freezing tips you've never thought of.